Friday 28 November 2014

Finding Your God

“Worshipping a god defined by someone else doesn’t increase our ability to be intimate, nor does it help us feel safe or loved” according to Dr. Susan Gregg in her book The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Spiritual Healing’.   Through a series of simple exercises Spiritual teacher and Life Coach Dr. Gregg invites readers to find their personal God’ by turning to the quiet of their heart and perhaps for the first time hear a healing and compassionate voice that is completely congruent to their own particular and unique nature.   The following excerpt ‘Finding Your God’ from her book is hereby made available in full with her kind permission.  Click here to read Dr. Gregg’s book ‘A Guide To Spiritual Healing – pdf format (formerly The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Spiritual Healing).   You will also find her complete list of books here.  

Finding Your God


God is a personal experience. Until you have one of your own, you won't know for yourself. If your religion allows you to have an unfiltered, uncolored, uncontaminated, and direct experience of God for yourself, that is wonderful. Until we develop a personal relationship with that energy, we are like fish out of the water. Your spiritual self is God, so without a direct relationship with God, you aren't connected to yourself.

Start by writing about God—your old definitions of God and how you'd really like your relationship with God to be. Do you want to be accepted just the way you are? Do you want God to be your friend? Write about your fears, doubts, hopes, and dreams.

Then find a place where you really feel connected with the energy. (Use some of the exercises from the last chapter to help you find that place.) I used to go to the beach or to old churches. Just find a place that works for you, spend as much time there as possible, and ask that energy to teach you about the nature of your relationship. Ask God to love you. Ask God what to do. Then hang around long enough to hear the answer.

Worshipping a god defined by someone else doesn't increase our ability to be intimate, nor does it help us feel safe or loved. For centuries we have settled for other people's definitions of God and missed out the most wonderful relationship we can have. Don't cheat yourself any longer; don't let anyone or anything stand between you and a direct experience of God. Take time to develop that relationship.
       
It took quite a bit of time for me to really feel the connection, but once I did, I felt an immense amount of love and unconditional acceptance. After I felt safe with that connection, I began to ask that energy what the nature of our relationship was. One day I heard "I am your creator, and I am well pleased with my creation." When I stop to remember that voice, all of my judgements dissolve. That energy, or God, only wants me to be happy, and God uses my definition of happy. I don't have to do anything or act in a certain way—I don't have to go to church or be perfect—because that energy loves me no matter what. And when I align my purpose with that energy, miracles happen and I am truly happy from the depth of my being.

Spend time and develop your own personal relationship with that energy. Don't take anyone else's word for it. Take the time to find your own path and your own way of connecting to that energy. It is well worth the time and effort.
God will be whatever you want God to be. Try not to limit God with your mind; instead, let that energy lead you to a way of being and believing that is beyond limitations. Surrender to your concept of God and let it teach you and lead you into a life far beyond what you could ever imagine.







No comments: